My favorite lean, high protein alternative to burritos or spring rolls is the turkey & collard green roll-up. Turkey is a great source of protein as well as Tryptophan, which helps boost the “feel good” hormone serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is responsible for mood, appetite, sex drive and sleep among other things. When these hormone levels are increased in the brain, life is much more enjoyable and fat loss becomes a much simpler process.
Spinach and collard greens are the next two powerhouses in this recipe, both supplying a healthy dose of important vitamins and minerals. Spinach contains L-Glutamine which is a vital amino acid that helps with recovery, protein synthesis and muscle building. It is the most abundant amino acid in our bodies. So if you are trying to lose body fat, and gain muscle this recipe is ideal!
Turkey & Collard Green Roll-ups:
1 Package of ground turkey (makes about 7 servings at 4 oz. each):
4 OZ. Ground Turkey patty
1 Large Collard Green leaf, split down the center
2 TBSP Chopped red onion
2 TBSP Shredded carrot
1/4 Cup Fresh Chopped Spinach
1 TBSP Chopped Garlic
* Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1) Mix turkey, onion, carrots, spinach and garlic and form into a loaf.
2) Blanch collard greens
3) Take half of the collard green and wrap around turkey loaf to form a “tube”
4) Pop into the oven for about 40 minutes at 375 degrees
5) When ready, pull out of oven and wrap remaining half of collard green around the loaf and enjoy!
Total Calories per 4 oz. serving: 180 Calories
Total Fat: 7g
Total Protein: 22g
Total carbs: 5g